Friday, December 29, 2006

Got resolutions? Mine include making my tech life hassle-free

"Out with the old, in with the new" is a popular catchphrase attributable to transitions. Perhaps the best-known threshhold is midnight between New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Most earthlings celebrate that switchpoint.

In contrast, lethargic and buggy equipment inspires transitions of another kind. Too-frequent downtimes and glitches that plunder productivity, endanger data and require unscheduled, unbudgeted maintenance and repair can push even well-adjusted people to the precipice, make blood boil and transform Dr. Jekylls into Mr. Hydes.

Do your computers make you wanna holler with frustration (rather than celebration), sweep out the old schmutz and buy something new? Yeaaaaa, boooy! I know that feeling.

But sometimes even serious symptoms have simple fixes. So don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

First, take a deep breath (or swig). Then read articles such as:
They offer useful advice that'll help you hold 'em longer before you fold 'em and perform (and even look) better in the interim.

My tech resolutions short-list includes:
  • Tame my misbehaving Treo.
  • Pimp my Blogger blogs.
  • Convert analog recordings of my radio shows to digital files and soundchecks.
  • Update my websites.