Wednesday, January 31, 2007

'I Love New York', episode 3: "Big Ballers" or "Big Bawlers"?

[ALL PHOTO CREDITS: VH1.com]

VH1.com entitled I Love New York, episode 3:"Big Ballers." It should be: "Big Bawlers."

[CAPTION: Bonez (Kevin John) and the boyz comfort Whiteboy (Joshua Gallander) on VH1's I Love New York, episode 3.]

Count me among the crybabies. God forgive me, I laughed 'til tears trickled and dragged others to watch with me when muscular mover and shaker, Pootie, presented his money talk to the gang of three weaves (1, 2, 3), and then walked out wailing.


[CAPTION: Bonez comforts Pootie (Lamonty) on VH1's I Love New York, episode 3.]


In short, Pootie broke it down to New York (Tiffany Pollard), Sister Patterson and Omarosa that he was flat broke....

[CAPTION: Was Pootie telegraphing more than his financial state?]

...then he broke under the pressure of their scorn and had an emotional breakdown. I'm not lying; he was flying. Down the stairs, that is.

[CAPTION: Driven by a combination of compassion and curiosity, some of the competitors check on Pootie, who survived his fling down the stairs and dinner later that night with Sister Patterson but voluntarily withdrew from the show.]

In contrast, I had sympathy for Whiteboy, who tearfully mourned the death of a friend. (Watch the video.) I also respected Whiteboy for being man enough to know real men do cry. Sometimes.











Too bad chronic crybaby Romance (Ricky Perillo) didn't get the memo explaining when it's appropriate to cry and when it's just plain pathological. He cried us some rivers in episodes 1 and 2, which won no points with the rest of the cast or this viewer.

The same couldn't be said for the tearful, tipsy Tiffany in episode 2 ("Mangeant"), who broke down when "keeping it funky" about not wanting to get hurt again. Or so she said.

Apparently, learning that 12 Pack (David Amerman) might have a girlfriend and Trendz (Hashim Smith) had brought 30 music demo CDs to distribute without her knowledge salted unhealed wounds. Specifically, New York confided: Flavor Flav had seemed to be "really into" her during the Flavor of Love 1 and 2, but the Black-chelor burned her by rolling with Hoopz (Nicole Alexander) in season 1 and Deelishis (London Charles) in season 2.

I guess you'd cry, too (all the way to the bank), if it happened to you on one of VH1's highest rated shows.