Thursday, May 26, 2005

”Lisa Tolliver Show” past guest (and Lisa’s aunt) Mary Frances Golff died 5/16/2005

MIAMI, FL - Mary Frances Golff participated in a 2004 “Lisa Tolliver Show” broadcast encouraging listener participation in Make a Difference Day. She was an angel who made a huge difference in her church, her community and her family. Upon her death on May 16, 2005, she undoubtedly earned her wings.

Frances (as she was affectionately known) was far more than a do-gooder and friend of my show. She was also my paternal aunt, the family matriarch (after her mother, Pearl, died in 1990) and my ace boon coon. I captured some of Aunt Frances’ dynamic spirit and legacy in the obituary I wrote (and orally presented) at the funeral.

A native New Yorker, Aunt Frances moved to Miami in September 2004 to live with her son, Frank, Jr. (affectionately known as “Nicky”). Although always cheerful, she suffered from various ailments related to diabetes and died of a heart attack on May 16, 2005. The wake and funeral services were held in North Miami on Friday and Saturday, May 20 and 21, respectively.

I admired, respected, emulated and adored my Aunt Frances. It was a privilege and an honor to know her and to know how much she loved me. I had planned to visit her in Miami this summer and regret not doing so when it mattered. Readers, please do not make the mistake I made…do not put off until tomorrow spending time with and taking every opportunity to show appreciation for your loved ones. Tomorrow is not promised.

My mum sent me this comforting passage, which had been forwarded to her by Miriam Jenkins, Apopka High School, Girls Basketball. Perhaps you’ll enjoy it, too. I know Aunt Frances would have.

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present!

I think this life is special,
live and savor every moment!
Life is not a dress rehearsal!