Sunday, February 26, 2006

"Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud!" A must-hear during February/African American History Month

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NY - So little time, so much to share. On the radio, that is. In my 90 minutes of air time on New York Radio WVOX AM 1460 and www.wvox.com during African American History Month*, I missed the beat by playing only one of the two must-hear songs during February. I opened and closed the February 8 Lisa Tolliver Show with one: the Black National Anthem/"Lift Every Voice and Sing." (Click here to hear it, click here for the lyrics.) I never did play James Brown's, "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud!"

Don't leave February without it! Click here to hear a sample of "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud!" Click here to read the lyrics. At that site, you can also listen to Brown's opening statement at his "Say It Live & Loud: Live in Dallas" concert in 1968, and other songs by this singer/activist known as "the Godfather of Soul," "the Hardest Working Man in Show Business," "Mr. Dynamite," and "Soul Brother Number One." You can also click here to access James Brown's bio, interviews and photos at VH1.com.

* My February 2006 broadcasts included: