WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NY - Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and godmothers! Many websites provide the history of Mother's Day, ideas for gifts and other ways to honor mothers, and resources for purchasing, sending and communicating those remembrances. One such site is Wikipedia, which states:
Thankfully, my mother received her gift yesterday and loved it. I am also thankful to have had opportunities to know and spend time with my great grandmothers, grandmothers, godmother and aunts, only two of whom are still living. Each of those great ladies is fondly remembered today. Please join me in prayer for my great aunt Mary (who is 105 years old) and aunt Bernice, who are both hospitalized.Mother's Day is a holiday honoring mothers, celebrated (on various days) in many places around the world. Mothers often receive gifts on this day.
Mother's Day is a busy time of year for mail in many countries. In 1973, the U.S. Postal Service was held up for eight days because of the amount of mail. Telephone networks are also at their busiest on Mother's Day.
Two years ago, my mother participated in a Mother's Day special broadcast that I hosted on Trends, Tips & Tools for Everyday Living. (It aired on New York Radio WVOX.) Here are some of the Mother's Day fun facts we covered and a few others:
- Books about mothers [e.g., My Mother / My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity (by Nancy Friday) and Mother's Day (by Anne Rockwell, Lizzy Rockwell (Illustrator)]
- Drinks named for mothers (e.g., Bahama Mama)
- Famous mothers (e.g., Mother Nature, Mother Theresa, the Queen Mother and the Virgin Mary)
- Famous childhood mother icons (e.g., the Cinderella's evil stepmother, fairy godmothers)
- Famous sculptures (e.g., Michelangelo's Pieta)
- Literature referencing mother's wit [e.g., Mother Hubberds Tale (Beg amongst those that beggers doo defie. ... For whatsoeuer mother wit, or arte Could worke, he put in proofe: no practise slie) and William Shakespeare - The Merchant of Venice Page 23 (That were a kinde of bastard hope indeed, so the sins of my mother should be ...that for a tricksie word Defie the matter: how cheer'st thou Iessica)
- Magazines referencing mothers (e.g., Mother Jones and Working Mother)
- Movies about mothers (e.g., Mommy Dearest, Don't Throw Momma From the Train and Big Momma's House)
- Phrases referencing mothers (e.g., "mother lode," "mother wit," and "mama mia!")
- Poetry referencing mothers [e.g., (Mother Hubbard (nursery rhyme)]
- Radio broadcast referencing Mother's Day: Roundup of the May 10 "Lisa Tolliver Show": filmmaker Emanuel Rund and film critic Joseph Dimyan celebrate the TFF and Mother's Day
- Songs honoring mothers [e.g., "I'll Always Love My Mama" (by The Intruders) and "Ave Maria")