Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lisa Tolliver recites her original haiku and a Langston Hughes favorite on the "Steve Pal Show" celebrating National Poetry Month

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NY - I always enjoy talking with Stephen Plaushin (a.k.a. Steve Pal) and appreciate it when he participates in my broadcasts. Listeners enjoy him, too. Steve graced us with his presence this afternoon on SCORE Radio: Counselors to America's Small Business at 1-1:30 and the Lisa Tolliver Show at 1:30-2 pm, Eastern Time.

Tonight, I returned the favor and accepted his invitation to participate in the "Steve Pal Show" at 10-11 p.m. Both of us hosted on air celebrations of National Poetry Month on New York Radio WVOX AM 1460 and www.wvox.com.

The "Lisa Tolliver On Air and Online" entry entitled, "April 12 SCORE Radio and Lisa Tolliver Show Roundup," describes the content of this afternoon's broadcasts, which in addition to celebrating National Poetry Month, commemorated Young People's Poetry Week, baseball and the business sides of poetry and sports. Steve's variety show featured good music (including one of my favorite obscure songs, Bob Dylan's "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"), witty and comedic banter, and guests Greg, Katherine (sp?) in addition to recitals of poetry written by such artists as e.e. cummings, Carl Sandburg and Anne Sexton. I read, "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes and performed the first-ever public recital of "Coach This!" (a haiku I penned during a 2004 CoachVille conference in New York City.)

I'm usually fast asleep or outside of listening range when The "Steve Pal Show" airs. My bad. Last night, I was in my pj's when I phoned in from Long Island and learned that staying up late can be bad for my girlish figure. (I yielded to temptation and scarfed down chocolate cake and a glass of milk during the show's breaks.) But I had so much fun that I've resolved to set an alarm on nights when I'm not otherwise engaged so I can join in the fun either as a participant or voyear. You can, too. When outside of broadcast range, one can hear and share, from anywhere, via the call-in line at (01 914 636 0110 or listen live online at www.wvox.com. ###