Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Blogger's new autosave feature: brilliant idea, but don't believe the hype (yet)



Blogger's new autosave feature is intended to automatically save posts as one drafts them. It's a brilliant idea but don't believe the hype (at least, not yet). If you bank on it before it's perfected, you could get burned.

I did. Ouch!

Losing posts that aren't easily recreated bytes. And for some reason, the ones that get away are typically brilliant, captivating, and well worth reading.

Placing misplaced faith in the autosave feature has taught valuable lessons:
  • Fool me once, shame on Blogger. Fool me twice, shame on me.

and

  • God helps bloggers and podcasters who help themselves.

In other words, people who want to preserve posts and edits-in-progress should proactively save their own drafts.

How? Regularly click the SAVE AS DRAFT button and/or use tools that support saving one's work. Examples include Mozilla Firefox (which can be configured to preserve content even when the browswer or computer crashes), weblog client applications and wordprocessing software.

Following those golden rules prevents clicking Blogger's "Return to list of posts" link and getting disappointed. Imagine leaving a baby tooth for the tooth fairy at night, only to find it - but no gift - in the morning. Now multiply your resulting reaction by the number of teeth you have left to gnash.

PERSONAL NOTE: my tooth fairy was 100 percent (%) reliable, unlike my autosave experience so far. The latter will undoubtedly improve, in time. In the interim, I'll rely on remedies whose consistency I can sink my teeth into. ###